NPA Park Board Commissioners, John Coupar and Melissa De Genova, have submitted the following letter and motion to Park Board Chair, Commissioners and General Manager to call for the suspension of the RFP on the controversial Seaside Greenway Update, otherwise known as the Kits Beach Park paving project. This suspension will allow for the Advisory Group to complete a full review and advise the Park Board on their recommendations.
October 29th, 2013
To: Sarah Blyth, Chair
CC: All Park Board Commissioners, Malcolm Bromley (Park Board General Manager)
RE: Special Meeting, November 4, 2013
Dear Chair Blyth,
Per the Park Board procedural bylaw, Commissioners Coupar and De Genova, request that a special Park Board meeting be held on Monday, November 4th, 2013 at 6:00pm prior to the regularly scheduled Park Board meeting. Please see attached motion.
As set out in the Park Board procedural bylaws, 48 hours’ notice is required to call a special meeting of the board. Please consider this letter formal notice of your responsibility to convene the special meeting on the date noted above.
To avoid the unfortunate circumstances of the last special meeting of the Park Board, we recommend that if all individuals who sign up to speak to this motion cannot be accommodated prior to 10:00pm on November 4th, 2013, we would respectfully suggest the Chair advise staff to hold over speakers to the next evening and notify them in advance.
In the interest of open public consultation, we expect this meeting and motion be posted on the Park Board website with the ability for people to sign up and speak within 24 hours.
Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter and motion in writing via email to Commissioners Coupar and De Genova.
Commissioner John Coupar Commissioner Melissa De Genova
SPECIAL MEETING MOTION
CALLED BY: John Coupar and Melissa De Genova
- Information was withheld from the public and commissioners prior to the vote on October 7th, 2013, on the Kitsilano Seaside Greenway Upgrade proposal. This is evident by viewing the RFP No. PS20130532 date October 16th, 2013. The deadline for the RFP is November 5th, 2013.
- Commissioners were only provided the opportunity for a briefing days before the staff recommendation came to the Park Board for approval.
- Commissioners were provided information that a robust public consultation had taken place with the Senior’s Advisory Committee and the Persons with Disabilities Committee.
- Both aforementioned committees have stated that they were not formally consulted.
- Key community stakeholders (Kitsilano Beach Volleyball Association, Kits Beach Basketball Alumni Association, Kitsilano Beach Tennis Club, Canada One Athletic Foundation, Kitsilano Point Residents Association) have confirmed that they were also not consulted and did not have knowledge of the proposal until hours before the vote on October 7th, 2013.
- Park Board Chair, Sarah Blyth, issued a media release on October 18th, 2013 stating that an advisory group would be formed consisting of sports groups and community members.
- Under the existing RFP timeline it appears impossible that meaningful input from key stakeholders can be received in advance of the November 5th deadline.
Therefore be it resolved;
- The RFP be suspended immediately
- The Advisory Group is formed with input and approval of the Park Board by November 18th, 2013
- The Advisory Group formed must create terms of reference, fully review the Seaside Greenway Upgrade and report back to the Park Board with their recommendation
- The Park Board Chair issue a public statement informing the public of this process